One other test I did was to apply KOH and ammonium to the surface and flesh of the cap. I got a slight yellow stain on the surface of the cap, but no reaction on the flesh which more or less matches the reactions seen in T. rubrobrunneus.
I was really excited when I found these mushrooms, they were so big and the bugs hadn't gotten to them yet (which is usually the state I find big boletes in) so I thought they might make a good meal. But they are quite bitter in taste. But I found the mental challenge of sorting through their identification to be a satisfying experience (and I found plenty of chanterelles to satisfy to palate).